Over the past few weeks, maybe even months, I have undertaken an effort to make my “brand” consistent across several sites, namely YouTube, Twitter and Instagram. I chose to standardize on my moniker of “fastk9dad”, which is the pseudonym I post under here at Cranky’s Corner.
Up until know I have been using Cranky’s Corner as the catch all for a variety of posts and topics. When I started it was pretty much all about cycling but that morphed into including some travel and family videos as well. After pondering this for a while, it seemed to confuse the brand a bit, so I decided to create a Facebook page to now be the central hub for all my endeavors and will shift Cranky’s Corner back to primarily cycling related content. That doesn’t mean I won’t post some other content once in a while but I’ll try not to clutter it up with stuff you all might not be interested in.
Now don’t forget to head over to over to Facebook and Like & Follow me there!
p.s. I also apologize for any “test posts” my subscribers may have received. I’m working on being able to cross post between the various platforms so I hope it didn’t cause any inconvenience.
It’s been one hell of a 24hrs. Our little dog, Snooki, woke us up at 2am yesterday, growling at something she heard outside. I thought I heard rain then I heard some bottles clanking so I got up out of bed to see what it was (I almost never do this) and low and behold the dumpsters in our complex were on fire! 😯
I rush outside, call 911 and get FD rolling. Then I realize my truck was parked behind them! Double 😯 I ran inside, grabbed my keys, hopped in the truck and moved it before the fire got to it but it didn’t escape damage. The heat alone has melted/distorted all sorts of plastic bits and the bumper. I backed it in so most of the damage is isolated to the rear. At least I managed to save it from going totally up in flames and potentially catching other cars on fire, or worse the condos themselves!
Now I get to deal with insurance and hope it’s fixable. It looks all cosmetic but I can’t see underneath what wires could be melted etc…
Not a headache I need a week before my wedding.
I need to find some time to just get out on the bike and clear my head.
Looking back at my last few posts it seems I only post updates on major holidays, but I’m hoping to change that soon. I may also start doing video updates regularly.
Anyway… I’m still riding a lot and racing on Zwift. After moving up a category a couple of months ago I am finally becoming competitive again, just posted my first podium finish my last race after a few top 10’s. It’s nice to not always be pack fodder. 🙂
The outdoors are calling me but of course time is very limited right now with the wedding coming up so I’ll take what I can get for now.
Only 9 days left before we leave for our destination wedding. #disney #fairytalewedding All the major planning is done, our wedding planner has been great and now we are just getting the last bits and bobs together that need to be shipped ahead of time.
2016 was a difficult year for me on and off the bike. My cycling didn’t go exactly as planned and much of that was due to my fiancee’s auto accident and resulting (slow) recovery which is still a work in progress. I would have like to spend more time in the saddle but family comes first and there were a quite a few days where I was just too mentally exhausted to even get on the bike even thought I had the time. The most disappointing thing to me was missing my mileage goal, but there are more important things in life than a number. I’m hoping 2017 brings us some good things, on and off the bike, the biggest of which is our wedding in April that we are both excited for. With that I leave you with my 2016 stats and you won’t see a post again from me until next year.
…and all through the house, not a crankset was turning, not even a 1x.
Hrmm… ok so it needs a little work.
It has been a little while since I last posted, but as the rest of the house is asleep on this Christmas eve, I’m a bit high on energy after a terrific day with my dad on the links and a great family dinner out. I didn’t do all that bad either considering I hadn’t swung a golf club in at least 15 years. I started to get some form back by the time we finished so I may try to get out there a bit more often now.
Anyway, since my last post there is what has been going on in my cycling life:
- I started racing on Zwift. Riding CX really made me want to race some more and what better way than on Zwift over the winter. I’m only in Cat D right now due to a somewhat low FTP w/kg since I didn’t have the summer training as planned, but I’ve been doing pretty well and have even caught a few podiums. My w/kg is improving weekly so I’ll likely be up to Cat C by the new year.
- I’m not sure how I managed it, but Vision racing recruited me after a few races on Zwift and I have been riding for them for a couple of months now. It’s a great group of guys and gals and nothing like having other teammates or a DS in your ear as you are racing. Lots of strong riders on the team so hopefully some of their racing knowledge will rub off on me.
- I put my application in for a multi day ride called the “Police Unity Tour.” It starts from the 9/11 memorial in NYC and goes to the Law Enforcement Officers memorial in Washington D.C. Due to the amount of applications received from returning riders, I’m currently on the wait list with 75 other people. I’m not sure where I am in line so I may or may not get in but if I do this will be my “A” ride I am targeting. It’s not competitive in nature but is 4 days long and has back to back centuries which would be new to me.
- I got an Knog Oi bell for my bike. I haven’t had a chance to use it yet but it doesn’t look like a bell and you can hardly notice it on the bike (I have the all black model) and it might be less jarring then yelling “on your left!” as I got whizzing past.
- I’m on the hunt for a power meter for my C’dale. I’d really like a spider based unit like a Power2Max or Quark, but they are a bit cost prohibitive especially since I have a wedding coming up. I do like the idea of pedal units like the Powertap P1 for the Garmin Vectors, but they are really cost prohibitive so I’m leaning towards something like a Stages to replace the left crank arm. I probably don’t need double sided power but I’d just like to have numbers while I’m out on the road.
- I’m on the hunt for some new wheels. I’m
looking drooling over the Flo Cycling 45 & 60 models. Not sure if I can swing them before the wedding but we’ll see. I’ll probably spring for a power meter first.
With all that said I am not getting a bit sleepy and Santa will be here soon. My Christmas present to myself will be a ride outside tomorrow. Since I’m visiting my parents in SC it should be a wonderful ride outside not requiring any cold weather gear!
He sprung to his saddle, to his team flicked an elbow, and away they all peddled, dropping everyone with ease,
but I heard him exclaim, as they hammered out of sight…
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!